Lone Wolf Networks
24Oct/160

Skype for Business 2015 – Mobility clients not able to find contacts

Posted by Jason Hower

I was recently asked to look in to a Skype for Business 2015 infrastructure due to reported 2013 mobility client issues.  The infrastructure consisted of a standard edition front end, edge server and KEMP load master reverse proxy.  The issue was that mobility clients could not search for contacts and could not see certain status messages.  All other features were working and users could chat/make calls.

Testing with https://www.testconnectivity.microsoft.com/ shows green across the board.  If you are dealing with this issue, start with this tool and run the following tests:

Read More

29Jun/130

Exchange 2013 ECP – :-( Something Went Wrong

Posted by Jason Hower

Fresh deployment of Exchange 2013.  As you try to connect to the management console https://localhost/ecp/ with a valid administrator account, it redirects to OWA and responds with ":-( Something Went Wrong, A problem occurred when trying to use your mailbox."

This seems to be related to left over Exchange attributes in Active Directory.  I tried everything from a multitude of TechNet articles including the following:

  1. Rebuilding the ECP front end and back end (Reference)
  2. Adding appropriate permissions to the administrator account
  3. Connecting directly to the back end by using port 444
  4. Messing with certificates (Reference)
  5. Many articles mentioned having CAS and MBX roles installed, but these were installed on the same machine at the same time
  6. Manually creating the administrator mailbox using the exchange shell

Finally I tried just creating another user account in AD and gave it permissions to manage Exchange by adding it to the group ADUC-->Domain.local-->Microsoft Exchange Security Groups-->Organization Management.

Read More

28Jun/130

Exchange 2013 Schema Prep – ADC Found

Posted by Jason Hower

Installing a new Exchange 2013 deployment on an existing domain with questionable history.  The existing domain had untold number of previous Exchange deployments with remnants scattered throughout Active Directory.  After using ADSI edit to manually remove all instances of the old Exchange servers, running a schema prep runs in to an error about an existing Active Directory Connector.  Microsoft suggests (TechNet) disabling the ADC service on the running computer, then uninstalling the service using the exchange server installation CD.  In this situation of course the detected ADC was probably on a computer that was long ago trashed or removed.

Read More

   
%d bloggers like this: